Miami Construction Tips: Pool Tiling
A common job for us as a top Miami General Contractor is to build and install pools. For those lucky enough to grace their back yards with an escape from the Miami heat and humidity, we have some advice and information to share with you to use as guidelines to follow when taking on a similar project. A lot of Miami General Contractors do not take the time to thoroughly plan out their jobs, consult with designers and troubleshoot effectively before taking on a challenging task, such as installing a new outdoor pool.
Follow these pointers when meeting with your Miami General Contractor and you are sure to experience a smooth installation!
Step 1: Design – Selecting a Tile
Whether you are working with an interior designer or not, tile selection is a key factor in determining a proper outcome to your pool install. Here’s what to remember:
- The bottom of the pool is made from either slate, pebble or stone and is different from the tile you choose to put on the walls inside the pool and on the pool’s surrounding deck
- Slip resistant tiles need to be used for areas outside of the water
- When choosing interior pool wall tiles, we recommend porcelain or glass over ceramic as they are more durable
- If you live in a cold climate, make sure the tiles are frost proof
- Protect your investment and use a tile that comes with a warranty
- Choose round edges on Mosaic tiles to avoid accidents such as scraping.
Step 2: Prep
We use a pressure washer to clean the pool’s interior thoroughly. This will help the materials better accept the mortar and ensure a cleaner tile install.
Step 3: Installation
Starting with the mortar (the bonding agent for the tiles), we make sure to choose products that are designed to be used in wet areas. After the tile layout is established, we lay out the tile just like we would on any other area. After the tiles are dried and strong, grout is applied.
Check back soon and follow us on Instagram for more informational construction talk!